Ads 468x60px

Buyer's Remorse

I love music. Who am I kidding? I really LOVE music. Some music can create a temporary vacation in my heart and mind, depending on the song of course. Country music can create the opposite of a vacation. Sorry Garth Brooks fans, but he isn’t very good.

Anyway, I recently found myself in need for some new headphones. I had some extra money set aside for this very occasion, so I decided to go a little big and purchase some high quality headphones. So I purchased my first pair of Skullcandy chrome FMJ’s. These babies were sweet and built very sturdy and the sound was amazing! But, after only a month of fair usage, they started to short out. The left ear eventually stopped working. Yes, I even caught myself leaning my head to one side thinking that it was my head’s position that was the problem. I was very angry. I had purchased only the mid to cheap headphones up to this point and the one time I decide to go big time and expensive, they didn’t even last a month?! Yeah, I was pissed. I did send them back and use the lifetime warranty to get them replaced, but instead of getting another pair of FMJ’s, I opted to get the FIXED ear buds instead.

So, I began to think about all the things I could have purchased with that money instead of those stupid expensive headphones. And I started to feel frustrated about the time I would be without a good pair of headphones while I waited for the replacement. I fell into what’s commonly known as buyer’s remorse.

Regret and I go way back. We have spent a lot of time together. One particular time when I almost overdosed on regret was when my friend Joe killed himself. Why didn’t I hang out with him more? Why wasn’t I a better friend?

Another glaring moment of regret is my mission. I also regret selling my 1969 mustang for my mission. I also regret getting married so young and starting a family so early. I think you get where I’m going. I have many, many regrets and it finds its way to overwhelm me at times.

I know, I know. I shouldn’t regret so much of my life. I wish I didn’t. I’m honestly working on it, believe me. I can hear you thinking, “Maybe he should spend a little more time looking forward instead of what is already behind him.” Fine. You wanna play the obvious card? I’ll accept that.

One of the things that I also use as a coping mechanism or way of healing is to accept what I have and find enjoyment in it. It’s certainly not easy, but it is what it is. My daughter recently told me how lucky and blessed she is. So I asked her why she feels that way. She then went on to explain the many problems and trials some of her friends at school have. One has a severe medical issue that requires heavy medication and the occasional surgery. She has had a surgery once a year for the past five years. One friend was severely sexually abused several years ago by a relative. One friend has 5 siblings and they live in a two bedroom apartment and she sleeps on the couch at night.

What I learned from that wonderful example of a daughter of mine is that I still have had a pretty good life. Why am I complaining about all that? I should be not only be looking forward but take some time in being thankful for what I have. So many others out there don’t have the same “privilege” that I have been blessed with. Count your blessings Tom. Sheesh.

So let me see if I can define the moral to this post. Find ways to enjoy good music, but not country music. You can buy expensive things, but they can still break. And it’s a real good chance your kids will be smarter than you and find creative ways to help you realize how selfish you are.

2 comments:

lifelongguy said...

"sheesh".

I miss hearing that, Tom. Miss you on the podcasts, but who am I to complain. :) Thankful for what I have.

Hope all is well.

Shop Steward said...

Hey James! Thanks for the comment. I miss you listening to my voice as well. Wait... That sounds strange and creepy. Nevermind. :)

I'll still be around. I have some pretty cool things planned out for the future. Podcast related.

Thanks bro. All is well with me. I hope all is well with you as well. Talk to you soon.

Post a Comment

who we are

Welcome to The Peacewriter.

We all want to belong somewhere, to someone. It is a basic human need.

If you have ever experienced a period of doubt or questioned your beliefs in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you know that this is not a minor thing. It is tantamount to a crisis, and one that can be life altering.

Lose your testimony, and you stand to lose everything that matters.

There are those who exist on the fringes of the Church, who feel disenfranchised, even unwanted. If you are single, gay or lesbian, feminist, atheist, or uncorrelated, it can be tough to feel like a part of the community. You may feel that you do not belong.

You belong here.

If you have ever loved someone who endured a faith crisis, you know that there are a lot of gray areas. Uncertainty is the dominant force; black and white become moot points.

Those who have walked the same path share a common bond, understood by few who have not traveled the same road.

This is the place to share common experiences, to find a voice, to be heard. This is the place to seek after peace, and to find it in the common ties we share.

This is The Peacewriter.


Please visit, and visit often. We intend to post new submissions regularly. If you want to contact us directly, click on the Contact Page or email us at thepeacewriter@gmail.com.


We welcome your feedback and submissions.